Wednesday, 18 July 2018

brain fog, hormonal imbalance, and turning 21.. ooops no 31... :)

My only symptom was that my period came regularly but massively. The hypochondriac in me wanted to know what was wrong. I bravely went to a gynecologist in Dubai and there the doctor found a shining and bouncy....  4 by 4 cm left ovarian cyst via ultrasound (nope not a baby).  I immediately shopped doctors for treatment and opinions. Of course, I panicked and I wanted the problem to be gone ASAP. I then consulted with a gyne surgeon in Dubai and she said I am for surgery. The cyst needs to be removed. A lot of things bothered me and the invasiveness of the procedure is on the top. My parents, Noel and my friends shared my anxiety and all adviced me to get a third opinion in the Philippines.

My doctor in the Philippines is a bit more conservative. She prescribed me hormone pills to be taken daily without any placebo/pauses. Thinking it was better than the keyhole surgery, I opted to take it. I was on pills for almost a year when I observed that my memory slowly deteriorated. My decision making was more of whims than practicality. I felt robotic and unemotional as there was no hormonal fluctuation and PMS happening monthly. It was very scary because I am very new here in Dublin at that time. I was undergoing my clinical adaptation. I studied twice even thrice harder because I can't remember anything. Nothing, not even my patient's name retained in my brain. I felt so powerless. I thought I was having a premature Alzheimer's brewing.

I did a lot of research and I discovered that a lot of females experienced brain fog symptoms because of the big culprit.. the pill. I am not alone and it felt reassuring. Well, after one year of the daily pill, my ovarian cyst was still the same size. My doctor here in Dublin said that the pill will just mask the symptoms I had pre-pill (the massive period) and it is no cure for the type of cyst that i have. Although my cyst did not grow which is still a good news after all, it will still need surgical removal more sooner than later as advised.

I will be turning 31 in a few days. I feel healthier than ever especially after stopping the pill. My memory is starting to re-surface once again ( thank you Lord!). My bloatedness is dissipating by the day. I feel more emotions once again and I am getting back to the old Gwen people love and hate hehe.

My 30 years of existence had such a huge impact on me. It was full of triumphs, failures, brain fogs, health-scares, and love. I'm just glad now that I am feeling more and more alive to experience my soon to 31st year better. Now, I'm buckling up for the next ride. I have faith that everything will all soon be well.  Cheers to me and to my impending 30 and 1 year of existence.


No comments:

Post a Comment